• The Plantsman’s Advent Calendar Day 15: Iris ‘Put Upon’

Well here it is, finally, an iris!  It’s hard to imagine that on this whole December list, I’ve included only one iris, but it’s true.  You’ll get plenty of irises on this blog in the coming months, leading up to the release of my book A Guide to Bearded Irises from Timber Press.  Fear not!

One of those irises that you’ll be hearing and seeing a lot more of, especially in 2012, is an excellent border bearded bred by our friend Mitch Jameson of St. Joseph, MO called ‘Put Upon’.  My nursery Rainbow Iris Farm is honored to bring this gorgeous cultivar to market next year, and to kick off the promotional campaign, we’re giving one away to a lucky commenter today!  Entering is simple.  Post a comment to this blog telling me why you’d like to grow this variety and you’re in!  A handy little app on this blog called “And the Winner Is” will randomly select one of you at the end of the day.  When filling out your comment, please enter your email so I can contact you if you win (your email will not be made public when you comment, so no worries!)

Now the chit chat.  Here’s what I wrote about it in my book…

“Put Upon’ (Mitch Jameson, 2012) —A Rainbow Iris Farm introduction from our friend Mitch Jameson of St. Joseph, Missouri, ‘Put Upon’ is another dropout from TB breeding but measures up in swell fashion to all the particulars of the BB classification.  Finely formed flowers of nearly perfect dimension open atop 26-inch stems later in the bloom season.  When this first bloomed in our trial beds, I was beyond impressed by its burgundy brushstrokes “put upon” its strong apricot ground.  Mitch has a playful knack for naming irises, which in this instance results in a clear image of the patterning of the flower.  Definitely a BB worth having in the garden, if only for its unusual pattern and coloration.”

Source:

Rainbow Iris Farm

Iris 'Put Upon'   ©2011, Kelly D. Norris

Iris 'Put Upon' ©2011, Kelly D. Norris

16 Responsesso far.

1. Megan Gans says:

Kelly – This is an AMAZING iris!! The colors are so neat. This would look great in anyone’s garden. When will it be aavailable to purchase?? Because I’m going to need one for my collection!!
    **LOVE IT**

2. tim says:

I lov all of the iris i have seen at mitches this one too.

3. Anita Moran says:

Nice color variations and blending Personally would wish for more closed standards but that is a personal preference nice ruffling and the fall flaring shows obvious substance. The apricot in the standards is really a wonderful color and with the lighter center on the standard makes it even more appealing.

4. Anne Larson says:

Gorgeous and subtle. Have loved the Advent theme, Kelly! Can’t wait for more!:)

5. Tom Waters says:

Looks like it could be good for my median breeding program: modern form and both tangerine and plicata recessives. Would be happy to try it here!

6. robert karr says:

Oranges sell themselves and this beauty will zip out of the garden.

7. Josh says:

The few iris I grow are hand-me-downs, so a new, cutting edge intro would be fun 🙂

8. I would love to grow this Border bearded in Twin Falls, Idaho.

9. Vickey Baumli says:

That is absolutely gorgeous! My favorite colors. I’ve really enjoyed your Advent blogs, Kelly! Merry Christmas to your family!!!!!!!!!!

10. Diana says:

I need to grow this because my MIS Display garden is in dire need of more BBs! And because the color is nifty. And because you said so. 😉

11. Anna Cadd says:

Nice iris. It will be interesting to see it “live”, because on this picture the standards look almost bigger than falls….But who cares, the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! It sure will get the attention in the garden! And we need a different stuff in the garden….

12. helen york says:

This is one of those iris that might not impress from a distance as the burgundy tends to make the subtle tones of apricot look more muted, but it would be lovely in an area where you could enjoy the patterns and appreciate the glowing play of light on the standards and falls.

13. Scott Weber says:

How lovely…would look great in my garden 😉

14. Cindy Voss says:

I would like to grow this iris because I have a special spot in my garden dedicaded to Mitch’s Iris. Big fan of his cultivars. Love the coloring of this beauty!!

15. Brian Morley says:

Kelly thank you for your advent series, it’s been fun! I was going to post this morning, but I thought I was too late to try for the beautiful Iris! I do like the medians, they can work in many designs, and are better in high wind areas…beautiful!

16. jane marie says:

i love the earthy colors in this iris…especially where the earthy gold mixes w/ the violet sprinkled w/ white!!!